The Vision 20/20 Project has been awarded a two-year Fire Prevention and Safety Grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help further its efforts in promoting the integration of Model Performance of Community Risk Reduction into fire department operations across the country. Activities in this grant include:
- Conducting the sixth national Model Performance in Community Risk Reduction Symposium which is scheduled for February 18-20, 2020 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. To help make this a long-term, sustainable symposium, we are adopting a new approach for this symposium by partnering with a planning team that includes the International Association of Fire Chiefs, the International Code Council, the International Fire Marshals Association, the International Fire Service Training Association, the National Fire Protection Association and the U.S. Fire Administration.
- Ongoing work on a national education and marketing campaign for smoke alarms that includes educational tools that fire departments can use in their public outreach efforts.
- Conducting a series of one-day training programs across the nation that focus on the CRR process and model measures for CRR.
- Enhancing online tools for fire fighters in partnership with IFSTA.
- Continuing to work with high-risk states in developing CRR Community Risk Assessments and Planning.
The Vision 20/20 Project is a long-time leader in the field of Community Risk Reduction and has developed an extensive library of tools and resources that are all freely available on its website, including:
- The Fire Safety Materials Generator where agencies can create fire safety materials such as door hangers, flyers and social media messages, among others, using tested and vetted messages and can insert the agency’s own contact information and logo.
- Online CRR training programs including Model Performance Measurement and Evaluation, Community Risk Reduction and Essentials of Community Risk Reduction.
- The Home Safety Visit App that includes a series of short videos, in seven different languages, that can be downloaded to mobile devices and used during home safety visits to demonstrate topics such as speed of fire, smoke alarms, cooking safety and heating safety.
- Guides to help in developing and enhancing CRR programs, such as an online Guide to Home Safety Visits, Guide to Community Risk Assessments, Guide to Community Risk Reduction Planning, Outcome Measures Guide and a State Guide to Supporting Community Risk Reduction Programs.
- Presentations and programs from the previous five Symposiums, along with the proceedings from other events hosted by The Vision 20/20 Project.
- CRR Radio, a podcast series featuring interviews with CRR leaders and practitioners from across the globe, now in its third season.
Vision 20/20 is a collaboration project of the Institution of Fire Engineers – USA Branch and is guided by a Steering Committee of national fire safety advocate organizations working with a network of experts and leaders from across the country. It focuses on addressing the gaps in fire prevention and promoting Community Risk Reduction by developing free tools and resources, and fostering an exchange of ideas about best practices. More information can be found at www.StrategicFire.org and on Twitter and Facebook @strategicfire.